Select photos from a food-filled weekend (2 big dinners on Friday and Saturday)
There’s a huge bin of fresh young coconuts at the Asian supermarket I go to so I have been playing with coconut a lot lately. Latest fun was steaming rice inside a coconut with coconut juice. The rice is sweet and fully infused with coconut flavor. The rice could be a meal in itself. It paired very well with coconut-caramelized shrimps.
And speaking of caramelization, how could I not make caramelized catfish in claypot as well? It’s kind of funny that I had never tried my hands at making this Southern classic before. Anyways, 1st and 2nd attempts (Fri & Sat dinners) both turned out very well. This delicious dish was a big hit at both dinners.
Riềng (galanga) definitely enhanced the flavor of cá kho tộ
- Gỏi ngó sen (lotus root salad with shrimps and pork belly)
- Tôm rang nước dừa (Coconut-caramelized shrimps)
- Cá kho tộ (Caramelized catfish in claypot)
- Canh chua (Sweet and sour soup with catfish)
- Rau câu dừa (coconut agar-agar/jelly in coconut)
1. Chả giò chay (yuba rolls)
2a. Cà tím kho tộ (coconut-caramelized eggplants)
2b. Cá kho tộ (caramelized catfish in claypot)
3. Mít non nướng cuốn bánh tráng (grilled young jackfruit in rice paper)
4a. Canh chua cá bông lau (sweet & sour soup with catfish)
4b. Canh chua chay (vegetarian sweet and sour soup)
5. Mít nướng cơm dừa (grilled ripe jackfruit with grated coconut)